We’ve built a team of not just the best engineers, but some really awesome humans as well. This team builds cloud software (platform + apps + ecosystem) to accelerate the flow of government data into the hands of citizens, developers, businesses and researchers. This means a few things:
- We are solving some pretty cool data access problems (ex. how do you extract, host and visualize every taxi ride in NYC so that anyone, including your mom, can access it?).
- What we do matters. New York, Seattle, San Francisco and 300+ other cities, states and counties use us to connect citizens with information that matters to their day to day life.
- We are the global market leader with double digit, sustainable growth.
We’re looking for a Senior Engineer who can help lead a team to build massively scalable, distributed systems for some of the most important data on the planet. We’re looking for someone who is as equally comfortable diving deep into development, as they are guiding and mentoring other engineers.
We would love to talk to you if you have:
- Demonstrated mastery of at least one statically typed language like Scala, Java, Go or C++
- Strong track record of shipping scalable software in the face of ambiguity
- A great sense of humor
- Experience in owning all aspects of a system lifecycle, from proper design, testing, deployment, metrics and monitoring
- Passion for our customers’ success (no really, we mean it)
- Demonstrated excellence working with database technologies including RDBMS and NoSQL stores. Bonus points for experience with technologies like Spark, Storm, AWS, etc.
- Comfortable working in a heterogeneous development environment where you’ll be working with multiple development languages and technologies
Please apply if you share our beliefs that:
- You code your way out of problems, don’t talk about them.
- It’s healthy to laugh at yourself and your VP (he’ll provide plenty of opportunities).
- A flat tire is just an opportunity to change a tire and keep going.
- Hard work is necessary, smart work and long hours are all appropriate, but not a way of life.
- There are no experts, just people who are constantly working toward becoming one.
- Buzz words like “think-piece, charette or cross-functional synergy” have no place in an engineering team.
- You make the most progress as a team, and teams aren’t built out of people who want to shout the loudest.
- Checking in code is part of progress, solving customer problems is having impact.
Socrata has 160 employees and is headquartered in a vibrant and creative workspace in Seattle, WA. The company also has regional offices in Washington, DC and London, UK. Socrata has raised $55M in venture backing from top VC firms including Sapphire Ventures, OpenView Venture Partners, Frazier Technology Ventures, and Delta-v Capital. You can learn more about Socrata at www.socrata.com.
Competitive salary including stock options and great benefits are offered. Qualified applicants may apply right here and also contact Socrata at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Socrata is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Socrata are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Socrata will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Socrata encourages applicants of all ages.
Socrata helps government use data strategically and effectively in the design and delivery of their programs and missions, improving outcomes and thereby improving society. Since 2007, we have focused on improving the access and utility of data held by government institutions around the world, and making that data useful to people outside and inside of government.
Socrata set out to develop a new kind of cloud-based software infrastructure and an innovation network designed to unlock the flow of government data. We’re the leader of a global movement called open data where engaged citizens, civic hackers, elected leaders, program managers, entrepreneurs, journalists, scientists and researchers are applying data to age-old problems to make government more efficient and to improve society as a whole by improving government outcomes.
Our data platform and cloud-based solutions support the world’s most ambitious open data programs and internal data sharing programs at every level of government. Our customers include the US Federal Government; half of US states and most major US cities and counties. Some of our amazing customers include states like New York, Texas and Utah; cities like Seattle, Chicago, Los Angeles and New York; federal agencies like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), US Department of Commerce, the US Department of Transportation and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services! Our select few non-governmental customers are ones with influence over government data policy, including the World Bank, the United Nations and the European Commission.
How We Act
At Socrata, how we act with each other and our customers embodies the core values and our code of conduct:
- We value big ideas and creative execution
- We build open and honest relationships
- We are results driven and accountable
- We celebrate success together
- We aspire to be remarkable
Do you share our values? Is this the kind of environment where you’ll feel empowered to do your best and most meaningful work?