The Technical Program Manager & Scrum Master facilitates operations of the KEXP Software Development team, manages related communications and handoffs between technical and non-technical teams, facilitates the application of Agile methodologies to improve the software development process, writes technical requirements and reports on a variety of analytics, and oversees the integration process and resources to support KEXP’s digital distribution partnerships.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Acts as Scrum Master for the Software Development team, with a focus on guiding the team towards improving the way they work through the use of Agile project management techniques.
- Facilitates sprint ceremonies, including sprint planning, daily stand ups, sprint reviews/demos, and retrospectives.
- Ensures productive collaboration within the Software Development team.
- Assists Product Owner (Digital Director) with keeping the backlog groomed.
- Coordinates work and handoffs across teams and reaches out to other KEXP stakeholders for removal of impediments.
- Takes responsibility for managing dependencies between the Software Development team and third parties.
- Communicates effectively with KEXP stakeholders about software development team activities.
- Acts as Product Owner for CMS (Content Management System) capabilities, writing user stories/requirements for new feature definitions.
- Maintains weekly dashboard for digital metrics, user engagement on apps, social etc., with support of the Digital Director and KEXP Business Intelligence team.
- Maintains relevant metrics that assist the team to evaluate how they are performing.
- Liaises between the software developers and external user experience/visual designers (contractors or in-kind/volunteers); fosters better communication between the disciplines.
- Acts as a project manager when necessary.
- Serves as a diplomat for Agile practices to the entire KEXP organization, gaining understanding and buy-in from all constituents.
- Manages external beta test groups: recruitment, communications, distribution of builds, etc.
- Owns mobile device testing strategy, device acquisition, and device/OS test matrix.
- Participates in defining requirements for SEO improvements and optimization of SEM and Facebook campaigns.
- Owns integration process and resources to support digital distribution partnership.
Organizational & Supervisory Responsibilities:
- Maintains thorough understanding of KEXP organizational policies, including employee handbook; follows policies and leads by example.
- Ensures that all expenditures under the Technical Program Manager & Scrum Master’s purview are in line with and reported according to KEXP policies; meets all fiscal reporting deadlines as set forth by organization, including the timely submission of expense reports.
- Manages payroll submission in compliance with KEXP policies, including timely submission of payroll for processing and arranging appropriate coverage of payroll obligations while out of office.
Supervision Received: Position reports to the Digital Director.
Supervision Exercised: May occasionally direct the work of KEXP volunteers or interns as needed.
Compensation & Benefits: This full-time, exempt position includes an annual salary of $78,000-80,000 as well as a generous benefits package which includes medical/dental/vision coverage, participation in retirement plan options, and much more.
Education & Experience: Three or more years of experience in technical program management or similar technical leadership role working within the software development lifecycle from conception to delivery; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed above. Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Computer Science a plus.
- Proven ability to manage a technology program, including collaborating with technical managers to secure resources, scope efforts, set priorities and milestones, and drive delivery.
- Ability to work independently to design, plan, and execute technical projects.
- Ability to articulate rationale for making difficult trade-offs.
- Demonstrated understanding of design approaches and industry technologies utilized in program area.
- Ability to understand technical service inter-dependencies and drive technical solutions for multi-tiered systems.
- Comfort and experience with cross-team communication.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Commitment to maintain confidentiality and a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to take initiative and use independent judgment within established policy and procedural guidelines.
- Strong self-motivation and independence in carrying out responsibilities, organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks, and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, relationship-building, and communication skills – both written and verbal – which transcend diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams, as well as provide consistent, high-quality service to a wide variety of internal and external constituents.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a professional demeanor, especially while working in a fast-paced environment of constant demands and frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation, and positive reactions to change and conflict resolution.
- Deep knowledge, appreciation for, and understanding of KEXP programming and mission.
- Ability to embody the community-oriented spirit of KEXP to both internal and external constituents.
Physical Requirements: Long periods of being in a stationary position; operating a computer and other office equipment; frequently moving to/from various work areas; frequently communicating by phone and email; frequently remaining in a stationary position during meetings, discerning meeting content, expressing oneself, and exchanging accurate information; frequently moving to/from off-site meeting and/or event locations; occasionally moves supplies and/or equipment weighing up to 20 pounds.
Working Conditions: Primary location in typical business office environment, with frequent meetings and event attendance at a variety of off-site locations.
KEXP is committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables KEXP to better meet our mission and serve music-loving communities around the world. People of color, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are encouraged to apply.
Closing Date: Sunday, October 7th
KEXP is a Seattle-based non-commercial radio station and dynamic arts organization that provides rich music experiences on the air, online, and on the streets. More than 200,000 listeners from around the world tune in to the station each week over the air and online, and KEXP produces and broadcasts over 500 live performances each year.
KEXP’s programming staff of 40 DJs, who are widely recognized as experts in their field, present emerging artists alongside established bands. Both variety mix and specialty shows spotlight new sounds as well as long-time favorites from the Pacific Northwest, across the country, and around the world.
The compensation is competitive and the benefits are generous. KEXP’s studios and offices are located on the Seattle Center campus in the Lower Queen Anne area of Seattle.