The IT Operations Engineer works with KEXP staff to solve their complex technical issues. This position uses data and metrics to discover staff pain points and prevent problems from occurring in the first place. The IT Operations Engineer assists with the installation, configuration, operation, maintenance, and documentation of system firmware, hardware, operating systems, software systems, and databases, helping ensure they meet the projected needs of KEXP and adhere to industry best practices. This position also assists in automating common IT tasks and supports the software development team by seeking to optimize the deployment of software from dev to test and into production environments.
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Partners with teams across KEXP to provide highly reliable, resilient applications and to resolve cross-product issues.
- Operationally owns applications and services across multiple environments.
- Provides technical direction and expertise required to resolve issues and impacts.
- Drives support strategies to ensure applications meet health, availability, capacity, and performance standards.
- Collaborates with peers to ensure tight alignment of shared goals.
- Strives to continuously improve the operations, processes, methodologies, technology choices and practices of the team.
- Stays on top of latest technologies and trends, looking for ways to improve on the technology platform.
- Monitors, supports, troubleshoots and communicates about system services to meet application requirements.
- Designs and deploys solutions that scale to meet requirements and are easily supportable.
- Leverages strong technical skills and strong engineering rigor to ensure comprehensive and effective standards and designs.
- Works closely with teams to understand emerging technologies and how they would benefit the KEXP network and its listeners.
- Validates and revises key engineering artifacts such as standards and deployment guides.
- Participates in network health analysis and optimization via monitoring and capacity planning.
- Assists with the definition and tracking of key performance metrics to assess cross-organizational compliance on mutually agreed performance and availability targets.
- Assists with support of software development and helps orchestrate automation solutions across virtual,on-premise and hybrid environments.
- Assists with other technical operations work as directed.
- Assists with other organizational activities as directed.
General Organizational Responsibilities:
- Maintains thorough understanding of KEXP organizational policies, including employee handbook; follows policies and leads by example.
- Ensures that all expenditures under the IT Operations Engineer’s purview are in line with and reported according to KEXP policies; meets all fiscal reporting deadlines as set forth by the organization, including the timely submission of expense reports by self and all direct reports (if applicable).
- Manages payroll submission for self in compliance with KEXP policies, including timely submission of payroll for processing and arranging appropriate coverage of payroll obligations while out of office.
Supervision Received: Position reports to Director of Planning & Business Intelligence; receives functional direction from Senior IT Operations Engineer.
Supervision Exercised: Directs work of interns, volunteers, and any helpdesk roles as they support KEXP IT Systems.
Compensation & Benefits: This full-time, exempt position includes an annual salary of $75,000-80,000 (DOE) as well as a generous benefits package which includes medical/dental/vision coverage, participation in retirement plan options, and much more.
Educational Qualifications: Five or more years of related professional experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed.
- Strong technical experience with networking at all OSI model layers, especially 2 & 3.
- Highly proficient with Windows Server 2016, Microsoft Active Directory, Root Certificate Authorities, GPO, MDT, WSUS, DNS and some experience with SCCM.
- Good understanding of CDN’s.
- Previous experience with Load Balancers
- Must be able to participate in an on-call rotation and work an irregular schedule on occasion, including evenings or weekends as needed and additional hours during peak times, or as the business requires.
- Ability to deploy, troubleshoot and understand all necessary aspects of ESXi and vCenter.
- Experience with troubleshooting SQL server.
- Comfortable with Hybrid on-prem/cloud systems.
- Direct experience working in a datacenter.
- Experience working with a change management system.
- Familiarity with Office 365 Administration.
- Familiarity with MacOS, Windows, and Linux operating systems with a high level of expertise.
- Proven ability to work through influence cross-culturally and cross-functionally, and ability to adapt personal style to different environments.
- Positive, professional, and collaborative with the ability to thrive in high-pressure situations and environment.
- Effective decision-making skills and the ability to choose a course of action among various options involving uncertainty or risk.
- Knowledge and understanding of the software development life cycle.
- Strong track record of collaboration and teamwork within and across departments.
- Ability to lead assigned projects and teams with inspiration.
- Passion for continuous excellence and exceptional ability to deliver quality work with a voracious, solution-oriented attitude.
- Ability to improvise, adapt and overcome various kinds of obstacles to increase employee engagement through new channels, styles, and challenging the “ordinary”.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Commitment to maintain confidentiality and a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to take initiative and use independent judgment within established policy and procedural guidelines.
- Strong self-motivation and independence in carrying out responsibilities, organizing and prioritizing multiple tasks, and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, relationship-building, communication, and customer service skills – both written and verbal – which transcend diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a professional demeanor, especially while working in a fast-paced environment of constant demands and frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation, and positive reactions to change and conflict resolution.
- Deep knowledge, appreciation for, and understanding of KEXP programming and mission.
- Ability to embody the community-oriented spirit of KEXP to both internal and external constituents.
- NetApp experience highly preferred.
- Experience automating tasks with Python or PowerShell preferred.
- ITIL certification preferred.
- Knowledge of media and broadcast industries preferred.
- Experience with organizational service transition preferred.
Physical Requirements: Long periods of being in a stationary position; operating a computer and other office equipment; frequently moving to/from various work areas; frequently communicating in person and by email; frequently remaining in a stationary position during meetings, discerning meeting content, expressing oneself, and exchanging accurate information; rarely moving to/from off-site locations; may move equipment or supplies weighing up to 50 pounds; rarely accesses technical areas under counters, moves up/down ladders, occasional roof access, and accesses confined areas above the ceiling.
Working Conditions: Primary location in typical business office environment, with frequent access to technical broadcast areas within the main facility and at the broadcast tower. Being comfortable in an open-office environment with possibly disruptive environmental variables including but not limited to live music, questions from co-workers, and public tours of the radio station.
KEXP is committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace. We believe that having staff, interns, and volunteers with diverse backgrounds enables KEXP to better meet our mission and serve music-loving communities around the world. People of color, women, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are encouraged to apply.
Closing Date: Sunday, October 7th
KEXP is a Seattle-based non-commercial radio station and dynamic arts organization that provides rich music experiences on the air, online, and on the streets. More than 200,000 listeners from around the world tune in to the station each week over the air and online, and KEXP produces and broadcasts over 500 live performances each year.
KEXP’s programming staff of 40 DJs, who are widely recognized as experts in their field, present emerging artists alongside established bands. Both variety mix and specialty shows spotlight new sounds as well as long-time favorites from the Pacific Northwest, across the country, and around the world.
The compensation is competitive and the benefits are generous. KEXP’s studios and offices are located on the Seattle Center campus in the Lower Queen Anne area of Seattle.